When we think of chocolate, we think of indulgence. It’s something to treat yourself to after a long, hard day, etc. While you can always just buy a chocolate cake, cookie or the like for times like these, why not up your game and make some chocolate treats yourself?
It may seem hard at first, but once you follow the tips below, cooking with unsweetened chocolate will seem like a breeze.
- A water bath is the most foolproof way of melting chocolate – There are many ways that you can melt chocolate, but to make sure that you do it right the first time, use a water bath. Put water in a pan and have it simmering. Put your heatproof bowl on top of the skillet and put the chocolate on it for it to melt. This is much safer than putting it in a microwave or even a double boiler as there is more chance of it burning.
- Familiarize yourself with the recipe and follow it perfectly – Especially if it is your first time to attempt to cook it. More so if you are baking. Unlike cooking where you can improvise, baking can be considered a science. It has to be more precise and the recipe must be followed. If you try to improvise or not use measuring tools, the end result might be less than ideal.
- Do not replace any other type of chocolate if you don’t have the unsweetened type – One thing to remember is that unsweetened chocolate is very different from semisweet or bittersweet chocolate. Do not attempt to replace one for the other or your recipe will be completely off. Just stock up on ingredients so that you can use for cooking or baking whenever you feel like it.
- Use this type of chocolate when cooking for diabetics – If you know someone or live with someone who has diabetes, then you know how hard it can be to find a dessert that is right for them. The good news is that you can use unsweetened chocolate to bake them their favorite dessert recipes! There are plenty of recipes available online so you can prepare many things for your family or loved one.
- Make sure you only buy the best quality – You might think that all chocolate is created equal, but that is very far from the truth. If you want to be sure that your end product will taste excellent, then you will need to invest in quality ingredients. Don’t go for the cheapest unsweetened chocolate that money can buy. But that does not mean that your hands should automatically grab the most expensive variant either. Do your research as there are brands who produce affordable unsweetened chocolate that will not burn a hole in your pocket.