Summertime and living is easy! With so many veggies on the market, cooking a meal during the summer months is not a hard task at all. Your meals can be so versatile and nutritious without having to wonder what to cook next. Zucchini is one of my favorite summer veggies. As I was looking for some lunch ideas, it occurred to me to share with you some delicious zucchini summer recipes that you will find useful as well.
There are tons of different light summer meals that you can prepare in order to enjoy a completely different gastronomic experience during the scorching summer temperatures. Although you hate to cook in the heat, these recipes will make you want to give them a try as soon as possible. Check them out and see what I’m talking about.
Cheesy Zucchini and Squash Casserole
This zucchini and squash casserole will take you 50 minutes total time. Cut the zucchini and squash into circles or spirals and let them drain. In the meantime prepare a sauce by mixing some butter, flour, milk, and seasoning until smooth. On a saucepan cook the veggies for 3 minutes with some olive oil, pepper, and garlic. Next, get a baking dish and add a layer of the sauce, then a layer of the veggies, and a layer of parmesan. Repeat the layers once again. Sprinkle with olive oil and crumbs on top. Bake until golden.
- 2 large zucchini, cut into ½-inch thick slices OR spiralized
- 2 large yellow squash, cut into ½-inch thick slices OR spiralized
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Grated parmesan cheese, for garnish, optional
Summer Zucchini and Tomato Gratin
Are you looking for a dish that doesn’t require much preparation? Here it is. Spray the bottom of the baking dish. Cut the zucchini and tomatoes into circles and arrange them in an alternating way. Then just sprinkle with some olive oil, seasoning (according to taste), crumbs, and parmesan. You are going to love the final result.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 to 5 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Fresh basil, optional
Vegan Zucchini Tomato Casserole
Here’s another casserole that will make your mouth water. The prep time is only 15 minutes. First, prepare the sauce by mixing pureed tomatoes, garlic, green onions, parsley, olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice and seasoning in a big bowl. Then cut the zucchinis in circles and mix them with the sauce. Make sure they are well covered. Then, proceed to bake.
- 3 large zucchinis, (1 pound) thinly sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, pureed (makes 2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, Mexican or another type
This is maybe one of my favorite zucchini summer recipes ever. It’s super easy to make it. The key tip that you should know is to bake the zucchinis on a cooling rack. Cut them like shown in the photos below, drizzle them with olive oil, seasoning, and parmesan and they are ready for baking. When you take them out from the oven, squeeze the lemon juice over immediately.
- 4 small zucchini ends trimmed, quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
Oven Roasted Zucchini and Squash
Cut the zucchinis and squash, season them according to your preferences and arrange them on a baking dish in a single layer. Add cheese on top, and bake for 10 minutes. Then move the dish on the upper rack, turn on the broiler and bake for 2-3 minutes until they are crispy and gold.
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 large yellow squash
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese you can also use finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 TBSP olive oil
Is there someone who doesn’t like grilled zucchini? I don’t think so! Slice the zucchini thick and season them. Place them on the grill, cover them and cook for 3 minutes. Taste them immediately, and if they need more salt add until they are hot. You will have this delicious meal in less than half an hour, so what are you waiting for?
- 2 medium zucchini, about 8 oz each, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Which is the recipe that you’d like to try out first?